** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, May 23, 2014

May 23, 2014



**Antietam Friday**


One of my favorite parts about visiting Civil War battlefields is seeing the old houses and barns, knowing that civilians once walked the halls, sat on the porches, and did work in the barn, that soldiers were cared for and received comfort in the parlors, bedrooms, and outbuildings. I’m not as familiar with Antietam’s historic homes as I am with Gettysburg’s, but my recent trip to Maryland provided me an opportunity to learn a little more.


The first photo (top) shows Antietam’s stunning countryside, an array of hill, mountain, brick, and fence. I admit it would have been even easier to imagine how this residence looked in 1862 if the power lines would have magically disappeared when I stopped to admire the scene.The second photo (above) is one of my favorites from this trip since I’d seen this farm before but hadn’t had a chance to stop for a better look. I’ve seldom seen a house with so many windows on one side.

 
**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. JOHN C. CARLTON
Co. D, 6TH North Carolina Infantry

Born January 11, 1829 --- Died July 02, 1863 at age 34 

When Pvt. Carlton lost his life at Gettysburg, he was the husband of Verlinda or Verlinchia and the father of two small children, Amanda aged four and Robert aged one. His brother Ambrose would later die in January 1864.


(c) 2013-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment