** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, June 1, 2015

June 01, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


General Meade’s Headquarters, part three: Not the best quality, I know, but unfortunately the house wasn’t open to visitors at the time so I had to play super-sneaky-spy and look in the windows :-) I actually kind of like that you can “see” the outside and inside at the same time --- adds an interesting effect. Here we see a very sparse living area. Remember all those kids? They must have driven their mother insane, running around in this little space. (Or maybe they were the best-disciplined children in the world, but kids have always been kids, so I rather doubt it).


I truly hope that there was more than one bed in 1863. If not . . . what a crowd! I like the view of Cemetery Ridge through the back window, and little details like the corner shelf above the rocking chair. If Mrs. Leister had the house set up the same way back then, did anything from the shelf ever fall on anybody sitting in the chair? Or did they bump their heads when they stood up? The world will never know . . .


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. PHILEMON BUTTON
Co. I, 75th Ohio Infantry

Born March 05, 1836 --- Died July 01, 1863 at age 27

Cpl. Button enlisted in December 1861, husband of Olive and father of three children: Francis (born 1854), Eliza (born 1856), and Thomas (born 1860). He was killed on the first day of battle and later buried at Gettysburg National Cemetery.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment