** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January 28, 2015


** This blog now published Mondays and Wednesdays **



Every once in awhile I check out Culp’s Hill by way of East Confederate Avenue off Middle Street, a route I don’t usually use to tour the area, and I always find it interesting. I’ve taken this route so seldom that I still haven’t memorized what goes where. On one November day last year, I stopped at the Steuart’s Brigade near Rock Creek and captured this view. No monuments or markers, just natural Gettysburg. I wonder if any of Steuart’s boys noticed the boulders as landmarks. I’m always well aware of them, as I find them fascinating in every shape and size.


The second photo showcases a path that can be reached from near this spot; if you stop at the Steuart’s Brigade marker, you’ll see a narrow path that heads down to the 28TH Pennsylvania monument and Rock Creek. This photo shows one of the narrow wooded paths you’ll encounter. Again, there’s nothing particularly historical-looking, but just knowing that soldiers walked here (and for some it would be their last walk), that the scene would have been much the same in 1863, makes the trek worthwhile.


**HONORED TODAY**

SGT. VALENTINE MARCUS PLOTT
Co. C, 33RD North Carolina Infantry

Born 1837 --- Died July 15, 1863 at age 26 

Sgt. Plott enlisted in September 1861 and was a farmer. He was the husband of Mary and the father of two children, 2-year-old Thomas, and Bessa (born sometime in 1863). Wounded at Gettysburg and subsequently captured, he died in captivity and was later buried at Holy Rood Cemetery in Washington D.C. 


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment