** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, January 19, 2015

January 19, 2015


** Hi all! Just wanted to let you know I’m changing my posting schedule . . . from this point forward, I’ll be posting only on Mondays and Wednesdays (barring breaks for vacation or other “bumps in the road”). Fridays will be reserved for my new blog venture, “St. Augustine Fridays”, dedicated to my second-favorite place in the world, St. Augustine, Florida. Feel free to check it out at http://staugustinefridays.blogspot.com **

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting the Gettysburg battlefield at sunset, you’ll know what I mean when I say this is a magical time of day. The sun’s last weak rays reflect in shiny cannon wheels . . . if you’re lucky, the sky explodes in a burst of oranges, pinks, and purples. Here, we see the High Water Mark memorial and part of the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge. Part of the Codori barn can be seen underneath the cannon tube (wheel to the left), while I believe the white house in the distance is the Klingel farmhouse. The monument to the left of the photo is the 59TH New York Infantry. If you click for to enlarge, you can see the Longstreet Tower to the left of the white house.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. CHARLES GASTON LEGGETT
Co. B, 72ND Pennsylvania Infantry

Born 1836/37 --- Died July 03, 1863 

Pvt. Leggett enlisted in August 1861. He was married to Maria and had a daughter named Ann. His mother, who was born in the Virgin Islands, died in 1865 as the result of an illness contracted after traveling to Gettysburg to bring his body home. He was later buried at Ronaldson’s Cemetery in Philadelphia.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment