** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, January 5, 2015

January 05, 2015

A Blast From the Past


I’ve been really excited about this post! While organizing my many many many many many many many (I’ll stop there) Gettysburg photos, I found quite a few gems taken with a 35mm camera in 1992, and of course I had to share them :-) I know the resolution is pretty atrocious --- I can’t size the images the same way I would a digital photo, and “click for larger image” unfortunately won’t improve the graininess and lack of focus --- but they sure will be fun to peruse!
 
#1: General Lee’s Virginia State Memorial. This scene actually doesn’t look very alien, and I suppose those are the same cannon. The only thing that “dates” this photo (besides its lack of clarity) is the vehicle in the background. (If anyone recognizes their large beige-colored van, hurry and tell me!)

#2: My oh my. The view from Little Round Top certainly has changed. (I can’t stress how much I prefer everything open and tree-less; it makes such a huge difference! Of course Crawford and Warren Avenues are still there (it wasn’t *that* long ago!) and that’s probably the original marker or its exact duplicate, but wow! It’s a jungle out there. Makes me wonder whose vehicles are parked at Devil’s Den.

#3. I wasn’t sure at first if I’d like it or could get used to it, but in 2005/2006 when I first noticed that all the trees had been cut from the Devil’s Den area, I was *so* thrilled to see the boulders standing out against the blue sky. Kudos to the Park Service for doing so much to restore the area to its 1863 appearance. I can’t even believe how much has changed since 1992. (I think Triangular Field is out there somewhere!)

#4. This view of the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge doesn’t look so strange either. I’m not sure where exactly this was taken, but I don’t think it’s so very different now. Of course, I really doubt those are the same fences. I know there’s been momentum in the past few years to replace many of the old battlefield fences, and maybe this was one of those.

#5. Voila, a really bad-quality photo of the Angle! First, I have to say, that’s quite some garbage can sitting off to the left! I don’t remember it being there at the time, but I’m sure glad there are nicer options today. Cushing’s Battery seems to be all in order. You can also see the Codori farm and thicket in the left background. I’d love to know who those folks in the photo are . . . if you visited Gettysburg in August 1992, walked around the cannon and caissons at the Angle, and liked blue pants and shirts, this could be you!


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. JASPER ALVIN GEER
Co. E, 47TH Alabama Infantry

Born August 05, 1838 --- Died July 02, 1863, at age 24 ½ 

Cpl. Geer’s death was made even more tragic by the fact that he was married (his lady’s name was Martha) and had a four-year-old son, John Willis. He enlisted at Cedar Bluff, Alabama, in April 1862. Unfortunately, little more is known about his life.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment