** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, September 28, 2015

September 28, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


This picturesque scene was shot near the Peach Orchard on what is a typical day for us to visit Gettysburg (cool, gloomy, and ready to rainJ). I love the contrast of flower, fence, and field, and the peaceful bucolic atmosphere. There’s nothing in this photo that the soldiers couldn’t have seen, and likely did. I’ve always wondered if the men in blue and gray had just as many problems with chiggers, ticks, and fleas during the battle as modern-day visitors to the fields have to contend with. I imagine they did. I wish I could say in what direction I’m looking, but I’m not as familiar with the Peach Orchard area as with the rest of the field.


**HONORED TODAY**

SGT. SPENCER MARVIN TRAIN
Co. C, 2ND Wisconsin Infantry

Born about 1833 --- Died August 25, 1863 at age 30

Sgt. Train had a dangerous stint in the military before coming to Gettysburg. Enlisting in April 1862, he was taken prisoner in Virginia in August 1862 and was later wounded at Fredericksburg in December. He was cited for “Distinguished Service” (I’m not sure for which battle). Mortally wounded in the leg at Gettysburg, he was taken to Camp Letterman, where he later died. Sgt. Train is buried in Gettysburg’s National Cemetery.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment