** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

September 09, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


I’ve mentioned before how much I love stone buildings. I’ve also mentioned (in my post of August 31, 2015) that I had the pleasure of coming across the McClelland Cemetery near Black Horse Tavern, which of course means I had to stop at the tavern itself. Historically owned by Francis Bream, this place is a beaut. The current structure dates from 1812 and, it appears, hasn’t much changed its looks in the past 200 years. Many of Longstreet’s men either saw or passed very near this place, and some were buried in the vicinity.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. ENOCH BLAKE
Alleghany Artillery (Carpenter’s Virginia Battery)

Born about 1844 --- Died August 18, 1863 at age 19

Pvt. Blake enlisted in March 1862. He was severely wounded in the arm at Gettysburg and taken to DeCamp General Hospital at David’s Island, New York, where he later died. He is buried at Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment