** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 01, 2014



  
It was a dark and stormy morning . . . at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery. While that may seem appropriate for a cemetery, there’s also a strangely peaceful feeling. I captured these photos on what must have been one of the dreariest days of August 2013 :-) The first pic showcases the miniature cannon forever guarding the 5TH New York Independent Battery. This is my favorite monument in the National Cemetery and dates from 1888/89.
 

The second photo (top of page) is a close-up of Gen. John Fulton Reynolds’ portrait statue, raised in 1871. Though at first I wanted to have words with the ugly “whitish” sky, now I kind of like the effect; it really makes the general’s profile stand out. I really like the details in this particular statue. It always amazes me how much effort is put into making a bronze face look as realistic as possible. Photo #3 (above) isn’t quite so dreary . . . it shows a path through the Cemetery, providing a glimpse of a building I can’t name: Is it a restroom? A lodge? Whatever it is, it sure looked inviting, but unfortunately the sky was getting angry and having a clear shot to the car seemed more important :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. FRANCIS P. HAMILTON
Co. H, 11TH Mississippi Infantry

Born 1840 --- July 05, 1863 at age 23

Cpl. Hamilton, a planter, enlisted in May 1861 and survived over two years of warfare. Sadly, his luck ran out at Gettysburg, as he was wounded on the third day of battle and died two days later. He was buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment