** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, August 29, 2014

August 29, 2014

**Antietam Friday**


I didn’t have the greatest weather on my last trip to Antietam, but I enjoyed exploring Dunker Church just as I always do. This time I braved the ticks and the mud to check out the side of the building. My question is . . . what is the purpose of the two upper windows, and w hy can’t you see any sign of them inside the building? I know there’s a “hatch” inside which was shuttered off, but it still looks rather strange. Notice the pile of rocks / dirt, or whatever it might be, in front of the door. I’m not sure of its purpose either. Was a stump there at one time? Did someone dig up the ground? Hmmm.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. THOMAS C. WEATHERSBY
                                                          Co. E, 5TH Texas Infantry

Born November 09, 1830 --- Died July 02, 1863 at age 32

Pvt. Weathersby’s surname is also spelled “Weatherby.” He was a stock-raiser by trade, husband of Nancy and father of little Matilda and Amanda who were four and three years old during the battle. He was later buried at Oak Park Cemetery in Alvin, Texas. Interestingly, Pvt. Weathersby’s sister Charity died in 1861 at the age of 19. Three other siblings had died before the age of six --- sister Mary (1832 – 1837), sister Julia (1839 – 1843), and sister Eliza (1847 – 1848).


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment