** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 20, 2014


Visiting the “big boys” of the King William Artillery

 

Ever notice that whenever you want a nice, quiet walk around Oak Hill and the Eternal Light Peace Memorial, there are always carloads of people, usually with screaming kids? When I last visited Oak Hill, there were still kids, but they were strangely cooperative with staying out of my camera’s eye. I was thus able to capture these photos of King William Artillery’s 12-pounder Napoleons.


Cannon #1 was manufactured at Augusta Foundry in 1862. (That’s part of the Hardaway Alabama Artillery in the distance). The cannon tube isn’t in the best shape, but is remarkably sturdy considering its age. Cannon #2 dates from 1864 and was made at Macon Foundry. Don’t you love the little Confederate battle flag? No, that wasn’t me who left it . . . my tastes run more toward Yankeedom :-) You can see the edge of the Peace Memorial at left, as well as seeing that it was quite an overcast day.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. ANDREW W. STEPHENS
Co. D, 13TH North Carolina Infantry

Born abt. 1831 --- Died July 01, 1863 at age 32

Pvt. Stephens enlisted in May 1861. He was married to Nancy with a daughter Phebe (only three years old at her father’s death) and a daughter Didama (age two). He was a farmer, but unfortunately I have no more information on his family life or his military record.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment