** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014


On my last trip to “G-burg” I managed to stop by Ziegler’s Grove for some photos of the surrounding area, and I focused mainly on the Abraham Brian farm and environs. The first photo shows how the day went back and forth between sunny and cloudy. It’s hard to imagine that Abraham, his wife, and a slew of children all lived here together! I’ll bet you didn’t learn much about “personal space” in such a small house :-) Note the 111TH New York monument at right.


The Brian barn is one of my favorite battlefield historic structures. Short, sweet, and to the point, its simplicity somehow makes it aesthetically pleasing. I also like the peeks of Seminary Ridge seen in the background, as well as the ground over which the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge took place. For the third photo, I don’t think (though I might be wrong) that there is any other place on the Gettysburg battlefield that has this sort of “flat” boulder ground cover. I found it very interesting, a sort of natural path. At left is the 111TH New York, while much of the Brian barn can be seen at right. The Codori farm thicket is visible at center left. Can anyone tell if the little holes in the barn are indeed bullet holes? Fascinating . . . .


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. SAMUEL HAIGUE
Co. A, 119TH New York Infantry

Died July 14/16, 1863

Pvt. Haigue, age 44, enlisted in August 1862. I haven't been able to uncover any information as to family, etc. At Gettysburg he was wounded in the ankle and later succumbed to injuries at a hospital in Baltimore. He was buried at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery. His stone lists his name as “Hague”, another spelling used in his military records.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment