** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014



Today’s photos feature Bachman’s Battery, the “German Artillery”, near the Bushman farm along South Confederate Avenue. On the first photo, Big Round Top slopes gracefully at the left. The second photo not only shows the Bushman barn but also part of the Slyder farm, at far right
.

Turns out I’m not very observant. I’ve been visiting Gettysburg since early childhood, but I’d completely forgotten this particular artillery battery, nestled at the edge of the woods where you can find a little picnic area along Warfield Ridge. So, though we were heading out to Antietam and had a busy morning planned, I had to stop and check these bad boys out.

**HONORED TODAY**

1ST LT. WILLIAM H. WINCHESTER
Co. I, 13TH North Carolina Infantry

Born c. 1840 --- Died August 01, 1863 at age 23

Lt. Winchester likely missed his quiet work as a clerk many times during the war, but Gettysburg made it impossible for him to return to his occupation. He was first wounded during the battle of Chancellorsville. At Gettysburg, during the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge, he suffered a wound to the foot and later died in captivity. 


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment