** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, June 6, 2014

June 06, 2014

**Antietam Friday**


Antietam National Battlefield. Authentic artillery. Nice warm day with fluffy clouds and bright blue skies. Need I say more? I’ve always been drawn to the artillery display at the visitor center since it’s well-maintained, easy to get to, and is the first exposure to artillery that I have on any given Antietam trip.


On the first photo, I particularly like the reflection of the wheel on the brick pavement. It was 9:30 in the morning and the sun was already gearing up for a scorcher. The second photo authenticates the piece. “Revere Copper Co., 1862.” I wish all of Antietam’s artillery pieces were so handy and accessible, but for now I’ll settle for the nice example at the visitor center.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. CHARLES CONAWAY
Co. F, 48TH Georgia Infantry

Born circa 1818 --- Died July 02, 1863 

Pvt. Conaway enlisted in March 1862 at the age of 44, the husband of Polly and father of Charles (19), James (17), Sam (15), Asa (14), Abbie (6), and Elizabeth (5). His son Charles died in May 1864 at the Battle of the Wilderness, age 21. The family suffered further when Pvt. Conaway’s brother Turner died at the end of May 1864 in Delaware. 


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment