** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, June 13, 2014

June 13, 2014

**Sorry for the delay! I had internet connection problems for quite awhile**


**Antietam Friday**

If you’ve ever studied the Irish Brigade and its leaders, you’ve undoubtedly heard of Gen. Thomas Meagher. (I was surprised to discover this is actually pronounced “Mar”). I hadn’t paid much attention to the name until I read up on the monuments at Antietam and noticed Gen. Meagher’s bust at the Irish Brigade monument near the Sunken Road tower. Of particular interest is the signature at the bottom right of the bronze relief: “Ron Tunison 1997, Cairo, NY”

Strangely enough, I think my favorite part of this photo is the “perfect” sky. I’m always on the hunt for pictures that stand out not only for their content but also for the background, and I get a little thrill of excitement whenever we travel and I see it’s going to be a blue-sky day. I like all my photos, but some of them just stand out. Oh great, now I’m “homesick” for the battlefields again . . .    :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. EDWARD H. HEATH
Co. H, 2ND Wisconsin Infantry

Born 1844 --- Died July 01, 1863 at age 19

Cpl. Heath, who enlisted in May 1861, was never very lucky. First he was wounded and later taken prisoner at Brawner’s Farm in August 1862, and just six months later he was transported to Washington to recover from an illness. At Gettysburg he was felled by a lung wound. Cpl. Heath was buried at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment