** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, November 22, 2013

November 22, 2013


  
Does it make me a Gettysburg nerd that I would have known exactly where this marker is located even if I wouldn’t have looked at the accompanying photo? During this last trip I was a cannon freak, taking as many photos as I possibly could and braving the frozen yonder to get that perfect shot. One of my favorites, which not only shows some handsome artillery but also gives a great overview of the surrounding land, is this view from the Eternal Light Peace Memorial.


McPherson’s Ridge spreads beneath Oak Hill just as it’s done for so many historic years, and in the distance the McPherson barn warms itself under a weak November sun. Save for modern roads and a monument here and there, I imagine the scene is much the same as it was in 1863. If you’ve visited the Peace Memorial recently, you’ve likely noticed that the artillery pieces on the right side of Oak Hill are missing. No, ghostly hoards of Confederates haven’t returned to whisk them back to Virginia. They’re being cleaned and repaired. I can’t wait to see the Orange Artillery rifles after they’ve been restored to their former glory!


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. STANLEY MANNING FOSKEY
Co. F, 48TH Georgia Infantry

Born January 28, 1832 --- Died July 02, 1863 at age 31

When Pvt. Foskey enlisted in the Confederate Army in March 1862, he was no doubt showered with affection from his wife Lottie and their four small children. He suffered a wound in Virginia just four months after enlistment. A little less than a year later, daughter Mary age eight, daughter Nancy age seven, son William age six, and son Charles age four were fatherless after Stanley’s death at Gettysburg. Many family sources note that his brother Jonas died in that battle also. At least five Foskey sons fought in the Civil War.


(c) 2013 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment