** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May 10, 2017



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **

 

I like this candid shot of the American and Pennsylvania State flags that I took in Gettysburg quite a few years ago. The simplicity of the shot, the blue of the sky, and splash of green . . . I wish the flags would have been rippling a little more, but as this was taken more as a spur-of-the-moment shot than a planned one, I didn’t wait around for that to happen. Random fact: The Pennsylvania flag’s design was authorized in 1799 and was officially adopted in 1900.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. FRANCIS M. GRISWOLD
 
Born c. 1844 --- Died July 02, 1863 at age 19

Co. C, 44TH New York Infantry

Pvt. Griswold enlisted in August 1862. He was mortally wounded at Little Round Top and was first buried at Jacob Weikert’s farm. His final resting place is in Gettysburg’s National Cemetery, though his surname is spelled "Griswald" on his tombstone. A photo can be found here.


(c) 2012-2017 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment