** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

October 05, 2016



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


If you’ve got good protection against ticks, you can always walk through the Slaughter Pen, where a few well-worn paths remain. Here I’m standing on one of them, looking through the Plum Run Valley toward Devil’s Den. The witness tree can be seen at top right. I still think Devil’s Den, a collection of random boulders that just happened to break through the ground to form a complex labyrinth, is the coolest place I’ve ever seen. I doubt that will ever change. :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

2ND LT. INCREASE SUMNER PAINE
Co. A, 20TH Massachusetts Infantry

Born May 10, 1845 --- Died July 03, 1863 at age 18

2ND Lt. Paine, who went by the name Sumner, enlisted in May 1863 as a Harvard student. His name is also given as “Sumner Edward Jackson Paine.” He suffered two injuries at Gettysburg, one of which was an artillery shell wound. He was later buried at Gettysburg National Cemetery. A photo can be found here.


(c) 2012-2016 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment