** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May 06, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


I’m going to take a stab at critiquing the Maryland State Memorial today :-) First of all, I love the design. I’ve read that it represents a Union Marylander and a Confederate Marylander helping each other to safety, which I find a beautiful sentiment. I can’t even begin to imagine what families from border states must have suffered, watching sons fighting on opposite sides. So I don’t have a problem with the design. It’s the trees I don’t like! The bronze is so dark that even on a bright sunny day, the figures kind of “blend in” with the dark branches in the background. People, do we really need the trees? :-) Imagine how this monument would stand out with open ground behind it. (Just a suggestion . . .)


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. ARCHIBALD NIXON
Co. G, 52nd North Carolina Infantry

Born July 06, 1823 --- Died July 19, 1863 at age 40

Pvt. Nixon enlisted in March 1862 and was a farmer. He was married to Susannah and had three children, Monroe (age 12), Amelia (age 8), and Anna (age 1). A fourth child, Julia, was born in 1853 and died in 1854. Pvt. Nixon suffered a wound to the thigh and was taken prisoner on July 3rd. He later died, and was buried at Richmond’s Hollywood Cemetery.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment