** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22, 2014



A Sampling of Cushing’s Battery


With all the recent news about Lt. Cushing receiving the Medal of Honor, I wanted to go and pay my respects. Of course, the fact that there were multiple artillery pieces in the vicinity made my decision much sweeter. Here’s one of the 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. In the background you can see the Abraham Brian farm (far left); 26TH North Carolina (small “pink” monument behind the stone wall); 39TH New York; 14TH Connecticut; 1ST Massachusetts Sharpshooters; the monument and artillery pieces of Battery A, 1ST Rhode Island Artillery; Battery K, 1ST New York Light Artillery; Gen. Meade’s equestrian statue; 99TH Pennsylvania; and a caisson from Cushing’s Battery. (I love detail work!)


The second photo shows one of Cushing’s caissons up close (as well as another caisson, Gen. Webb, and the 1ST Pennsylvania Cavalry in the background). I’ve got to say I never really appreciated caissons as much as cannon --- I’m more of an aesthetic type --- but of course without a caisson to bring ammunition, a cannon wouldn’t do much good. Take note of the cannon wheel shadow to the right of the photo --- unintended artistic detail. :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

SGT. OLIVER J. ROE
Co. I, 1ST Minnesota Infantry

Born October 14, 1829 --- Died July 06, 1863, at age 33)

Sgt. Roe was no stranger to military service, having served in the Mexican War. He enlisted in the 1ST Minnesota in April 1861 and took an enemy shell to the knee on the third day at Gettysburg. He later died from his wound and was buried at New Washington Christian Church Cemetery in Clark County, Indiana.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment