** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, March 21, 2014

March 21, 2014



**Antietam Friday**

Sadly I haven’t been able to identify this artillery piece (and I’ve certainly tried) but the photo was worth a look. The only clue I have as to its location is that on the original un-cropped photo, the right side of a park service sign is visible: first line ends with “nal”, second line “tery”, and last line “ng.” So I looked for cannon near the National Cemetery parking lot and still couldn’t identify it definitively. The view is nice for four reasons: old stone, which I love; cannon (an instant fave in my book); a typical “Civil War” fence; and the sweeping scenery which makes Antietam such a beautiful place.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. JOHN AEIGLE or AIGLE
Co. K, 107TH Ohio Infantry

Born 1825 --- Died July 06, 1863 at age 38

Pvt. Aeigle enlisted in August 1862 and survived nearly two years until the second of July 1863, when he was shot in the side and sent to the George Spangler property. His wound proved mortal and he was buried at the Spangler farm (some say the Bushman farm). Pvt. Aeigle was later re-interred at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery. 


(c) 2013-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment