** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April 23, 2014


Three of My Favorite Gettysburg Monuments


 As far back as I can remember, the 148TH Pennsylvania Infantry monument along Ayres Avenue had been one of my favorites. I suspect it’s aesthetics that won me over . . . there’s something about the monument that resembles a castle turret, and the decorative columns are a nice touch. It was only recently that I gave more attention to the accoutrements expertly carved at the top.

The second monument belongs to the 15TH and 50TH Engineers, and I first tagged it as a fave when I visited Gettysburg in childhood. What’s not to like? It’s a castle! How many monuments do you see shaped like castles? (With the exception of the 44TH and 12TH New York on Little Round Top). This particular castle can be found on Pleasanton Avenue near Taneytown Road. 
Also a favorite is the 28TH Pennsylvania Infantry, found on Culp’s Hill. There’s just something ‘different’ about this one . . . maybe it’s the star on top, but lots of Gettysburg monuments have stars. I also like the kepi cap perched in the center. I always look for this one when we take a drive to Culp’s Hill.


**HONORED TODAY**

2ND LT. RANDALL D. LOWER
Co. I, 157TH New York Infantry

Born March 1838 --- Died July 01, 1863 (age 25)

Lt. Lower enlisted in August 1862. He was married to Annis and had two daughters, Mabelle (who was five during the battle of Gettysburg) and Blanche (who was two, and died just before her twentieth birthday in 1881). Though Lt. Lower is buried at Gettysburg National Cemetery (stone says “R. D. Lower”) he has a cenotaph at New Bridgeport Cemetery in Onondaga, New York.


(c) 2013-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment