** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, April 7, 2014

April 07, 2014



If you’re like me, you tend to forget there are many boulders across from Devil’s Den, just as ominous and eerie as the den itself, but somehow overlooked. I’m fascinated by the random way they’re stacked and can definitely appreciate their stark, ancient appearance. One particular reason why I like this photo is that it could have been taken in 1863. There’s no element in the shot that wouldn’t have been there during the battle, even down to the tree cover on Big Round Top in the background. And I know Plum Run is in there somewhere . . . 


Just pondering the age of these mammoths is impressive, but knowing that soldiers in blue and gray fought among them is just incredible.I like the way the sun's coming over the rocks in the middle of the photo, making for a washed-out, somehow artistic look. It's been awhile since I could see Big Round Top due to all the weeds and brush, but on this photo I'm reminded how close the terrain really is to the Slaughter Pen and Devil's Den.


**HONORED TODAY**

SGT. WILLIAM P. DAWSON
Co. K, 52ND North Carolina Infantry

Born 1835 --- Died July 01, 1863 at age 28

Sgt. Dawson was a farmer before the war. He enlisted in March 1862 and died at Gettysburg, later being reinterred at Richmond’s Hollywood Cemetery. Unfortunately, little information is available regarding his life.


(c) 2013-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment