** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

August 19, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **

  
I disliked the Louisiana State Memorial until I finally got out and really looked at it. This monument is incredible! The level of detail, the emotion, the in-your-face realism . . . the only thing I didn’t care for were the over-embellished hands and feet, which I hear is sometimes a bone of contention with admirers of the Mississippi and Louisiana memorials at Gettysburg. That aside, I’m really glad I took the time to really see this monument for the first time. (Which is sad because I’ve been visiting Gettysburg for twenty-five years). My interest in this particular sculpture was heightened by a recent interest in the Louisiana Tigers. (Check them out; fascinating story). If you’re wondering, I didn’t whiten the sky . . . it really was one of those washed-out Gettysburg days which I have the misfortune to encounter so often :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. WILLIAM FRANKLIN LEWIS
Co. B, 28th North Carolina Infantry

Born January 08, 1842 --- Died July 1863 at age 21

Pvt. Lewis’s death date is given as both July 03rd and July 17th. He enlisted in July 1861, making it nearly two years through the war, and was mortally wounded in his leg at Gettysburg. His burial place is unknown; he may be at Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, or possibly Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Both contain large numbers of Gettysburg casualties. A marker to him can be found at New Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Gastonia, North Carolina.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment