** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, November 7, 2014

November 07, 2014



 **Next post will be Friday the 14TH . . . busy, busy week ahead :-)**


This is one of my favorite “artsy shots” from my October trip. Just moments after I explored the McPherson barn, I snapped this photo of the barn through an old, weathered fence. This is one of the images that inspire a strange sort of nostalgia in me . . . nothing modern (save for a much newer version of the fence) as far as the eye can see. I wonder how many wounded men might have lain here against a similar fence, their last sight being of the old McPherson barn, perhaps wishing they’d have the strength to go just a little further to receive medical care. Likewise, how many men noticed the barn from this angle while engaging in desperate combat?


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. WILLIAM PETERS
Co. C, 57TH Virginia Infantry

Born October 02, 1834/35 --- Died July 04, 1863

Pvt. Peters, who joined the Confederate Army in July 1861 and managed to survive nearly two years before falling at Gettysburg, left behind a wife Rachel and three young children, James (age 7), Sarah (age 5), and William (age 2). He was mortally wounded during the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge and died the next day . . . he’s likely buried at or near Bream’s Black Horse Tavern, though the exact location isn’t known. A cenotaph stands at Daniel Cemetery in Ferrum, VA. 


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment