** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014

 
 “G-burg” has been my home away from home for the past twenty-two years, and the old wax 
museum, now officially known as the American Civil War Museum Complex, is one of the places where I first learned about and garnered a love for everything Gettysburg. (Plus they have a great gift shop, a little expensive but high quality items). It’s an impressive building in a simple and elegant sort of way, but it’s the details that always impress me more. And there’s a cannon in the front yard. Truth be told, I’d probably stop here just to see the cannon . . . It’s a Griffen Gun, and it’s been sitting in the museum’s yard for as long as I can remember. 
 
And then of course there are the flags. I’m a “Yankee”, but there’s just something about seeing the Confederate flags on one side of the museum entrance and American flags on the other side . . . something that highlights that long-ago clash in a symbolic and patriotic way. One time when I visited, I saw only the “Rebel” flags, and I asked, tongue-in-cheek, if the American flags would be coming back. It was pointed out to me that they were, in fact, on the other side of the porch :-) My power of observation apparently went bye-bye that day.


If you’ve visited the Civil War Museum you’ve probably noticed these things, but have you never noticed the plaques on the upper level? Union and Confederate-themed plaques alternate in a colorful “shadow-box-like” pattern, adding another layer of depth to the old building. I don’t know if any of my readers like this place as much as I do, but if you intend to go, you might want to check out the little things. Details are king.


**HONORED TODAY**

SGT. PHILIP PECKENS or PECKINS
Co. F, 141ST Pennsylvania Infantry

Died July 04 (also listed as July 09/10), 1863

Sgt. Peckens’ untimely death was mourned by wife Lydia and three children, Chauncey (age sixteen), Cynthia (fourteen), and Frederick. Some researchers add a fourth child, Philip. Sgt. Peckens was wounded twice and suffered an amputation. He was later buried at Gettysburg National Cemetery.


(c) 2013-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment