** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23, 2013


**Merry Christmas!**


Maybe I’m just lucky, but I never see many other tourists when I catch the photo bug at the Eleventh Corps Line. I particularly like this photo because of the combination of visuals: monuments, artillery, the famous Gettysburg rocks, and a Civil War-style wooden fence. The fence surrounds the Old Alms House Cemetery. (See my post of August 12, 2013).


The monuments are, from left to right, the 25TH / 75TH Ohio Infantry; Gen. Francis Barlow’s portrait statue; a marker denoting the actions of Battery G, 4TH United States Artillery, represented here by four Napoleons; and the 17TH Connecticut Infantry.


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. WILLIAM CHURCH
Co. K, 13TH Vermont Infantry

Born 1839--- Died July 03, 1863 at age 24

Cpl. Church’s fate came less than nine months after he enlisted in the army. He was described as being 5 feet and 8 inches tall, with light hair and dark eyes, and was later buried at Church Street Cemetery in Swanton, VT. Some believe this photo is of Cpl. Church, while others say there are no known images of him.


(c) 2013 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment