** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11, 2013



I don’t know if it’s the same for other visitors, but for me it’s almost impossible to get this Mississippian in the right light. No matter what time of day I visit, he’s washed out by the sun, or it’s too bright, or it’s too dark, or some other phenomenon that leads me to believe he just doesn’t want me taking his photo. During my November trip, however, the conditions happened to be just right. Of course I took advantage.


I remember when this monument was dedicated in 2000. Since then I’ve done a little research on the 11TH Mississippi Infantry and was impressed by the story of the “University Greys”, Company A of this regiment. While other Confederate regiments such as the 26TH North Carolina suffered over 80% casualties in the course of the battle, there were companies of particular units that paid an even higher cost, albeit with fewer men. The University Grays’ casualty rate was 100%. There was not one man in that company who emerged from the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge whole. All were either killed or suffered an injury.


The 11TH Mississippi’s monument stands in McMillan Woods along Seminary Ridge where the regiment --- and thousands more men from a wide array of Southern states --- stepped off on the Charge. Fall is understandably the best time to visit, at least in my opinion.
 

**HONORED TODAY**
PVT. ABNER PIERCE HAMRICK OR HAMBRICK
Co. F, 22ND Georgia Infantry

Born c. 1827 --- Died July 09, 1863 at age 36

Pvt. Hamrick was the father of five children under the age of ten when he enlisted in the Confederate army, William age eight, Richardson age six, Emma age four, Jabez age two, and Martha born about 1863. He suffered two wounds at Gettysburg and lingered six days before dying of his injuries. He was later buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.


(c) 2013 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment