** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 01, 2015



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **
  
I can’t believe it’s the battle anniversary again. Seems like the 150th was just here, and it’s been two years already! Please join me in remembering those boys and men, both blue and gray who died both on this day and on the 2nd and 3rd of July, and also those who passed away from their wounds days, weeks, or even months later. May they never be forgotten.


It’s come to my attention that a lot of people don’t like the equestrian statue of General Longstreet in Pitzer Woods. I mean, they *really* don’t like it. I realize it’s not as grand as some of the other such statues in the military park, but as far as being accessible, it’s a good size and easy to explore. It’s also a nice subject for some unique shots. I don’t remember the circumstances of snapping this photo, but I know I really like it. The sky could have been bluer, but can’t have everything! :-)


**HONORED TODAY**

2ND LT. WILLIAM L. WALDRON
CO. I, 42nd Mississippi Infantry

Died July 01/02, 1863 at 34

Pt. Waldron (surname also spelled Waldran) enlisted in May 1862. He was married to Elizabeth and had a daughter Mary (aged 7 in 1863) and a son Jeff (aged 5). He was wounded on the 1st of July and later died, eventually being laid to rest at the Meek Family Cemetery in Laws Hill, Mississippi.


(c) 2012-2015 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment