** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

October 22, 2014


Wednesday, October 22, 2014


On my most recent trip, not only did I have the opportunity to walk down to the McPherson Barn, but also to visit another place I’d never before seen without weeds . . . Pardee Field. As soon as I discovered it had been mowed I knew I had to go and take a look. The sky wouldn’t cooperate by bursting out with gorgeous spring-like blue, and the grass refused to shed its murky brown, but it was still an enjoyable walk.!


The second photo shows the furthest spot reached by Steuart’s Marylanders (their flank marker is located in the woods). The distant monument just visible to the left of the rock is the 109TH Pennsylvania. Despite it being a very dreary day, I like the contrast of rock, field, stone wall, and a spattering of fall colors among the trees. We were absolutely alone and could really appreciate the positions both sides were obligated to defend.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. DAVID ADAMS
Co. H, 11TH Pennsylvania Infantry

Born 1839 --- Died July 01, 1863 at age 24
Pvt. Adams enlisted in December 1861, bidding what he believed was a temporary farewell to wife Catherine and son Dan. He fell on Oak Ridge without ever having the chance to see his family again; he was later buried at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery. 


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment