** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, September 5, 2014

September 05, 2014


The Eternal Light Peace Memorial, sprawled out across Oak Hill, is one of those places you take for granted but never really take the time to explore. Actually, when I visited a few weeks ago, I realized it had probably been a few years since I’d spent more than a few minutes eyeballing the memorial. Above is a recent shot I really like. Unfortunately, the sky wouldn’t cooperate to make the backdrop as interesting as the subject. The memorial is a little worse for wear but in remarkably good shape considering all the people that have been climbing on and probably manhandling it for the past 76 years.


For the second pic: Again with the dark skies. It had just rained and was getting close to sunset, so I can’t take the blame for that one :-) I found this angle very interesting as I’d never taken a similar picture before. My primary focus was on the artillery battery directly to the left of the memorial (see post of August 20, 2014) but thankfully I had the presence of mind to catch a few unique shots as well. The writing on the monument shaft says, “An enduring light to guide us in unity and fellowship.”


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. GEORGE EDWIN VAN NESS
Co. D, 7TH Michigan Infantry

Born May 06, 1838 --- Died July 03, 1863 at age 25

Cpl. Van Ness was a farmer by occupation and enlisted in September 1862. A brother, Nelson, preceded him in death in February 1863. Unfortunately, little information is available concerning either George’s civilian or military life.


(c) 2012-2014 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment