** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

July 20, 2016



** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **


From left to right on this photo: Rose Woods, 124TH New York Infantry monument, part of Triangular Field, marker for Benning’s Georgia brigade, 99TH Pennsylvania Infantry monument, Smith’s 4TH New York Independent Battery, and a few twisted old branches of the Devil’s Den witness tree. Sickles Avenue runs along the bottom. This is one of my favorite places on the field --- the second day’s battlefield has always interested me the most for some reason, and I find myself most fascinated by Devil’s Den, the Wheatfield, and Little Round Top. I’m slowly warming to the Peach Orchard as well.


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN PONTIUS

Co. D, 29TH Ohio Infantry
Born 1839-40 --- Died July 1863

Pvt. Pontius (also spelled Pontious) was a wagon-maker. His death date is given as July 02ND, 3RD, and 6TH, and I could not determine which was correct. He was later buried at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery (his stone says “25TH Ohio"). There is also a cenotaph honoring his memory at Martin Cemetery in Grundy County, Missouri (likely where his family later settled).


(c) 2012-2016 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment