** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Monday, January 4, 2016

January 04, 2015


** This blog published Mondays and Wednesdays **

ANTIETAM TRIP


And now, for something a little different (cue game show announcer voice): I recently had the opportunity to walk part of the Bloody Lane / Sunken Road, so the next few photos will involve that milestone in my journey as a Civil War buff :-). The main reason for not walking the entire distance was that it was cold. And by cold I don’t mean, ‘oh, look, I can see my breath’, but bone-chilling cold, with the sort of wind that cuts right through sweaters and coats with a spiteful, ‘ha, ha!’ But look at that sky! At least the weather cooperated in that regard!


**HONORED TODAY**

PVT. HOMER HANKINSON
Co. I, 94TH New York Infantry

Born abt. 1846 --- Died August 07, 1863

Pvt. Hankinson enlisted in the 105TH New York in March 1862 and was transferred to the 94TH in March 1863. He was a farmer, and was described as being 5 feet 9 inches tall, with light hair and eyes. He was mortally wounded in the abdomen on the first day of battle and died at Camp Letterman. Pvt. Hankinson, whose name is listed elsewhere as Hawkinson, is buried at Gettysburg’s National Cemetery. 


(c) 2012-2016 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment