** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Friday, April 26, 2013

April 26, 2013


I’ve mentioned in the past that when comparing the historic homes and farms of Gettysburg --- all of which I love --- stone structures win hands-down. There’s just something about those old stone buildings that evokes nostalgia in me. The George George House on Steinwehr Avenue (yes, that was his real name) is no exception. The structure would have been important enough due to having existed on this site during the 1863 battle, but it has another quite ominous claim to fame. On July 1st, General John F. Reynolds was brought here after his death on McPherson’s Ridge.


When I visited the George house in 2001, it was being used as Servant’s Olde Tyme Photos. (I’m not sure what its function is now). I remember feeling rather eerie when I got my picture taken here in Civil War garb. The place had a rustic feel, and I was admittedly on-edge, considering that a dead general had once lain just steps from where I stood. The rumors of supernatural activity were hard to ignore --- especially in Gettysburg, where most will tell you there is definitely “something” you can just feel. It’s no coincidence that this lovely home is located near the old stone Dobbin House Tavern; both structures were utilized by Reverend Alexander Dobbin.


**HONORED TODAY**

CPL. CHARLES CARROLL
Co. D, 7th Ohio Infantry

Born 1836 --- Died July 03, 1863 at age 27

Before Cpl. Carroll was killed in July 1863, he bore the hard news of his two-year-old son James’ death in Lake County, Ohio. He was then survived by his wife of six years, Martha, and five-year-old son Willard. Even more tragically, Willard followed his father in death just four months after Gettysburg. Cpl. Carroll has a stone at Mentor Avenue Cemetery in Painesville, Ohio but it is believed that he may not actually be buried here.


(c) 2013 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment