** Please check out my tribute page to two of my Civil War relatives who never made it home **

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

November 20, 2012

Love never dies. It might hibernate; it might take on different forms, but it's always there, occupying an undeniable place in the heart. In this case, the love I'm talking about involves places that you just can't get out of your mind. They might be historic landmarks; religious sites; little-known locales where childhood memories were made. For me, one of these places is Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. It's impossible to come to Gettysburg and not sense the incredible amount of history, the overwhelming aura of grief and sorrow and pride and courage and valor. There were over 50,000 casualties strewn across these hallowed fields on July 1, 2, and 3, 1863. It's possibly the best-known battle of the American Civil War. And I'm excited to share my thoughts on this amazing place.

This blog isn't quite ready. I'm working on other projects currently, and I can't give a definite time when I'll put up my first "real" post here. But when I do finally "cut the ribbon," I plan for "Skies of Blue and Gray" to have three distinct purposes: To honor the dead with names, stories, and photographs; to share my favorite personal travel photos of Gettysburg; and to tell human interest stories and whatever might cross my mind.

I'll see you then!

(c) 2012 Skies of Blue and Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment